TO Comix Press
Based in Toronto, Ontario
6.75" x 10.25" Perfectbound Softcover
25 stories from 38 female-identifying and gender-nonconforming creators.
Feb 1, 2018
Press / Business contact:
From mermaids hunted for their meat to a ghastly beauty pageant, Wayward Sisters celebrates lady and non-binary monsters who are indelicate, impolite, and irrepressible. Inside you’ll find tales of undead motivational speakers, vengeance demons compelled to hunt family, and a gentle T. Rex who just wants to be loved. This collection of full-colour comics stars thirty-eight intersectional creators who identify as women or gender-nonconforming.
Press ReleasesOctober 11, 2017 - Kickstarter launches!
"After three wildly successful crowdfunding campaigns, TO Comix Press is launching a new Kickstarter for Wayward Sisters: An Anthology of Monstrous Women. This 220-page book features 25 new stories about monsters from creators who all self-identify as women or gender-nonconforming. " ( cont'd )
I’ve loved monsters for as long as I can remember. Monsters can mean and represent so many different things about the human condition; they allow us to explore the parts of our identities that scare us, or that scare society. They can be scary or silly or sad, and that flexibility, as well as their metaphorical potential, has always interested me.
A few years ago, I met M. Blankier, who has a PhD in English Literature with an emphasis on the Gothic, and has worked at Marvel, Kids Can Press, Knopf/Random House Canada, and Tundra Books. We were both bored by monster stories where women are only victims, romantic interests, or sexy monster hunters. The rare lady monsters we did get too often reflected stereotypical images of women: seductresses or crones (non-binary monsters were, and are, next to non-existent). I’d edited 2 volumes of the Toronto Comics Anthology, as well as titles for Chapterhouse Publishing including The Pitiful Human-Lizard and Life, Death & Sorcery. It was time for us to bring a project to life where we could share the monster stories we’d always wanted to read.
When we posted the call for pitches, the response was immediately and overwhelmingly positive. Many other comics fans hungered for more diverse stories, with monsters that reflected a wider range of experiences. Then the pitches started flooding in, and we were astounded by the creativity and talent we had to wade through.
We couldn’t be prouder of the book our creators are putting together. We have horrifying monsters, but also monsters who are kind, and funny, and shy, and melancholy. Monsters who want to be accepted for who they are, to escape societal restrictions, to find a friend or start a family. We hope that you are as excited about this book as we are, and that we’ll be able to bring you more monsters in the future!- Allison O'Toole
There are far more images available for Wayward Sisters: An Anthology of Monstrous Women, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- Publisher TO Comix Press has been nominated for the Gene Day Award for excellence in Self-Publishing in 2014, 2015, and 2016 - Joe Shuster Awards
Reviews and Endorsements
- "Welcome to the sisterhood you didn’t expect to need in your life. At times quirky, surprising, moving and true, the tales in Wayward Sisters show us monsters that are all at once familiar and constant: monsters that we face every day, or see in the mirror, and the importance of embracing the monster in all of us…shadows, scales, and everything in between."
- S.M. Beiko ( co-editor of Gothic Tales of Haunted Love, author of The Realms of Ancient trilogy ), Homepage
- "Everyone is the protagonist of their own story, and monsters are no exception. With its funny, scary, and heart-warming stories, Wayward Sisters will introduce you to perspectives of gender and self-expression in ways you won't expect!"
- Tory Woollcott ( creator of Science Comics: Brains!, Mirror Mind, and Toronto to Tuscany ), Homepage
- "These are the sisters you need beside you - bold, unique, and unapologetic. The talent in Wayward Sisters is outstanding, there is a story in here for everyone, and the anthology will give you a new appreciation for the genre."
- Megan Lavey-Heaton ( Namesake ), Homepage
Table of Contents
- Miss MonsterComedyFashionShe's beauty and she's grace... and she may rip off your face! Three monstrous queens go head-to-head-to-head in a beauty pageant they may not all survive...
- Best BooGhostsFriendshipScript and art:Megan KearneyA group of kids set off to a cemetery to raise the dead. Don't forget to pack your candles, lighters, and gifts!
- Zira and the Little FireFantasyMisunderstood OrcsScript and art:Katie ShanahanItinerant half-orc Zira has long kept her head down and her nose out of trouble, but a bright little fire come to life may show her how much better life can be.
- Lost & FoundComedyBody HorrorScript and art:Saffron AuroraFrankie works her butt off—almost literally—to save up for some brand new body parts. But her lack of appreciation leads some of her older body parts to search for greener pastures elsewhere...
- Skin DeepUndeadFamilyScript and art:Elodie ChenA fatal car crash has led to a new life—of sorts—for Izzy as a public figure, lecturing other Undead about the virtues of blending in with the living. Will her family ever accept her for who she's truly become?
- TinseltownHollywoodNoirWerewolvesOld Hollywood is soaked in sex, smoke, and self-loathing. Sam Steele may have a reputation as something of a ladykiller, but his newest pursuit is a little bloodthirstier than most...
- Date NightRomanceComedyDinosaursIt's not easy to lead an active love life when murderous robots keep destroying your city. How many bad dates does Kelly the T. rex have to endure before someone appreciates the earnest heart that beats within her?
- Ugly Cinderwench and the Very Angry GhostFantasyJapanRevengeScript and art:Xaviere DaumarieA bunch of ancient Japanese lords get more than they bargained for when they summon the spirit of Ugly Cinderwench to save their sorry hides. She's mad as Jigoku and she's not gonna take it anymore!
- Doilies and DemonsFamilyDemonsKids these days: they never call, they never write, they never stop by to see the hellish demon you've accidentally summoned to tea time...
- The InsectBody HorrorSurrealScript and art:ZAVKAA lonely, monstrous insect finds companionship, but quickly wonders if she'd be better off alone.
- The Way HomeFairy TaleFantasyAfter a long day, a woman made of light makes her way home, where she assumes her role as her community's protector.
- InheritanceGothic horrorPsychicsScript and art:gillian blekkenhorstAs if moving wasn't stressful enough, Gene is plagued by spectral visions in her new home. But what effect will these ghosts have on her relationship with her partner, Mira?
- The Alligator at the End of the WorldFolktaleDemonsBrazilWhat would you sacrifice for a better life? Downtrodden and fed up, a woman summons a demon and makes a deal.
- Either/Or, Neither/NorHorrorPhilippinesConflicting natures are pulling a celebrity apart, but monster mischief and the love of her adopted kids will help keep her together.
- Love and FuryFamilyRevengeDemonsElderly sisters Teng Si Fu, Mei Ji, and Lie Du are vengeance demons who exact revenge on wrongdoers. But a betrayal begs the question: where can we draw the line between duty and family?
- Bad Hair DayAnxietyMental HealthSoo Ying leads a lonely existence until a coworker asks her on a date. She accepts, but her monstrous self has other ideas...
- The Wife's ShadowDramaChinaFamilyScript and art:Janice LiuXiao Yan looks like the perfect wife, but she has been having trouble sleeping. She's disturbed by the unending noise of bats screeching outside; worse yet, this seems to be something only she can hear.
- Leon's ReturnDramaIlluminated ManuscriptBeastsScript and art:Zoe MaeveLeon has stayed away from the land they were born in too long and decide to visit. They're shocked to return to a place that has moved on without them.
- White, Anglo-Saxon, ProtestantDark ComedyBody HorrorRob responds to an ad by a couple looking for help "naturally" conceiving a child. Unfortunately, the mother-to-be isn't WASP-y in the way Rob expected.
- Cold CallDramaSexualityScript and art:Xia GordonA succubus, working as a phone sex operator, is exhausted by callers who can only see her as one part of her identity.
- Low TideLovecraftVictorianGothic HorrorA young governess learns that her ward's mysterious malady may be more than a simple illness.
- Solid ShadowsKidsFriendshipCarefree children surround a girl made of shadow, and she longs to be noticed and included in their games.
- The Purrrfect SolutionWitchesComedyScript and art:Mandy JamesAn inexperienced witch wants friends, but scares away the townsfolk with her magic. She realizes there's an easier way to get all the friends she could want!
- Moonless SeaMermaidsCannibalismHorrorScript and art:Casandra GrullonIn the face of hard times, a small seaside town begins selling mermaid meat in the market. One fisherman steals a mermaid away to be his wife, and she waits for her chance to escape...
- Light PollutionBeastsWordlessScript and art:iguanamouthIn a midnight cityscape, two rats find and protect a lightbulb. Where could they be taking it?
Creators available for interview
Toronto Comics: Yonge at Heart Kickstarter
Previous Kickstarters from TO Comix Press